search us!

June 19, 2010

warm

As I may have mentioned in some of my previous posts, it is actually quite wintery in Sydney at the moment. Well, it has been getting warmer for the past few days (but still cool enough to wear a jacket if you aren't running about in the sun) and it is still freezing at night. Not actually freezing obviously, but in my bedroom it really does feel like it sometimes.

As such, I have compiled another list (yes, I am one of those list-loving people..) this time it is a list of Elly's winter essentials..

HOT WATER BOTTLES
Hot water bottles! I don't think I have had one since I was about eight but they are absolute heaven! This might just be because I am used to getting into bed in my ice cave of a bedroom and shivering for about an hour before my body works up enough heat to get me warm again.. but nevertheless, hot water bottles are an amazingly genius invention! You can also get little soft covers if you are worried about accidentally burning yourself.. like this super-cute owlie version from saracarr on etsy!




HOT CHOCOLATE
I'm one of those freaky people who doesn't like coffee at all, so almost every morning I wake up and make myself a nice cup of Cadbury's drinking chocolate. Of course there is always tea which I also love but hot chocolate appeals to my ravenous sweet tooth. My ultimate hot chocolate method is to add two large teaspoons of the Cadbury's powder to your mug and fill it with milk, then microwave for approximately 45 seconds (this will probably differ greatly between microwaves, but if you leave a bit of space at the top you can add a splash of cold milk afterwards to cool it..) And if you want to go really crazy, add a little bit of Baileys Irish Cream which makes it even more delicious, but probably not suitable for weekdays..

HEATERS
Well this is a bit of a stupidly obvious one but it had to be said. Almost all of my time spent at home is spent sitting on a small wooden stool in front of the heater. I am a little bit worried that this will have some adverse health effects but my desire for warmth overrides my health worries. Sitting on the little stool with no back support gives me better posture anyway!

BAKING
Now I love baking at any time of the year, but there is no time like winter to give your oven a workout. This is for two simple reasons: a) your oven will warm up your house and b) you will get to eat yummy and warm treats at the end of it. Plus, it is totally okay to stuff yourself with treats during winter because a bit of extra pudge will help you keep warm..? Perhaps you could go for a wintery theme with a snowflake cookie cutter from kitchen crafts.



CUP-A-SOUP
Okay, so I know you probably get the whole "put-warm-consumables-in-your-body" idea by now but think about it, you can have nice warm soup in your hands within minutes; any time, any place! I have only gotten back into them recently because they are actually on sale (a two-pack for a dollar!) at the moment and I couldn't resist them, but I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. My favourite flavours are laksa, chicken noodle and one that I can't remember the name of which is something like italian minestrone..

COATS
For a very long time (I'm talking years here..) I have wanted a coat for winter, but always thought that buying one would be a ridiculously large expense for something I would only be able to wear for a maximum of about one month per year. Luckily, this year I actually remembered that practically all op-shops have plenty of coats in all shapes and sizes for around ten dollars, so when it came time for the 50% of everything sale I was ready and bagged myself a gorgeous grey coat for four dollars! So now my beautiful coat has been keeping me warm pretty much every day because I get too lazy to change outfits in the winter.. So go out and buy a coat! Even if it isn't four dollars it will be worth it to allow you to leave a one-metre radius from the heater!

Although I have already got a perfect coat of my own, I love this beautiful mustard-y coat and can't help but dream of teaming it with my mustard-y tights.. from vintage etc.


Anyway, that's all the exciting list action for now. I have actually been vaguely productive in my first week of holidays, crafting and cleaning, so hopefully this will continue!

xx Elly

No comments:

Post a Comment