search us!

July 11, 2010

comfort

Hello there,

As I was saying in one of my previous posts, it is very cold at the moment by Sydney standards. This has led to me, like most people I assume, craving comfort foods and sitting around inside like a blob.. so last night I made one of my favourite warm, winter comfort foods ever: lentils!

I don't know how enthusiastic about lentils other people are, but I got the idea about a week ago after browsing 101 cookbooks and coming across a lovely-looking recipe for lentil soup.


Delicious lentils with yoghurt..

Of course I made my own alterations to the recipe, namely using green/brown lentils because my dad couldn't find the right ones and adding heaps of Worcestershire sauce (I had to look that up to spell it properly..) because I always remember my mum making lentils with Worcestershire sauce when I was little, which adds to the comfort-factor.


I also made an exciting discovery in my bookshelf a few days ago, a set of three rather large folders filled with information on sewing. Apart from the hilarious eighties-style pictures, it looks amazingly helpful as it includes different stitching types and when to use them, how to sew with different fabrics, attaching zippers and buttons, as well as many far more complicated tips that go way over my less-than-basic sewing knowledge. For instance, one folder is filled entirely with tips on how to get the perfect fit from your garment, and when they say perfect they mean perfect. In fact the fit in some of those photos looks so extremely perfect that it is probably not at all comfortable, and the people were probably sewn into the garments and couldn't sit down..

There are tips on how to fit for every single not-exactly-average measurement that your body might have, including a wide back (who knows how big their back is?) and narrow thighs (sorry, but if I had narrow thighs I don't think I would be worrying very much about "disguising the problem" !!)


a similar eighties-style sewing pattern (showing off the crazy-close fit) from vintagegifts4sale on etsy


Anyway, having flipped through these folders I have been inspired to try harder to make some actual clothes and expand my sewing experience, starting with a black velvet skirt because I have wanted one for months yet can't find one that is the right length because I am too tall.. (I have a couple of skirts that I hardly ever wear because I am constantly paranoid about them flying up an inch or to and revealing far more than it necessary to the general public! 6 ft is not a height you should ever aspire to..)  


So I guess that's all the exciting reporting I have for today, I have a post about my Newcastle trip lined up but I need to take a couple of photos of my exciting loot first..


xx Elly

No comments:

Post a Comment